Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"PRETENDtious" Music Review

Here is my list of……38? I don’t know. This is all I can remember, get off my back. These are my favorite songs o' the year. I’m sure I missed a few. Newer songs tend to nudge out the older songs but I think I did a pretty good job at setting aside new flames for the old when it was called for.

38. Port O’Brien: My Will Is Good


37. Fever Ray: When I Grow Up (D. Lissvik Remix)

36. Amazing Baby: Headdress

35. Temper trap: Sweet Disposition

34. Metric: Help I’m Alive

I really wanted to like this album more than I did….but I do enjoy the song.

33. Wild Beasts: All The Kings Men

32.Matt and Kim: Daylight

31. Built to Spill: Life’s a Dream

I really wanted to love this album more than I did as well. It did grow on me though.

30. the XX: Intro

29. Wings for the queen: Kings With No Lovers (Labour Remix)

Yeah, so what I’m bias….Wyeth did a great job and I love it.

28. Atlas Sound: Shelia

27. Here We Go Magic: Tunnelvision

26.Dirty Projectors: Stillness in the Move

25. Surfer Blood: Swim

24. The Rural Alberta Advantage: Drain the Blood

23. New Villager: Rich Doors

22.Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes: Home

21. Decemberists: The Rake’s Song

20. Cymbals Eat Guitars: And the Hazy Sea

19. Phoenix: 1901

I really wanted to hate this album and everything that came with it, but….I can’t even get myself to change the channel when the car commercial comes on. Touché fo-eenicks, touché.

18. Yeasayer: Ambling Alps

17. Dirty Projectors: Useful Chamber

16. Land Of Talk: May You Never

15. Julian Plenti: Fun That We Had

14. Beirut/Realpeople: My Night with the Prostitute from Marseille

13. Grizzly Bear: While You Wait for the Others

Without Michael McDonald, it might be lower on the list….I didn’t have to choose.

12. Volcano Choir: Island, IS

11. the XX: Islands

10. Handsome Furs: Evangeline

9. Modest Mouse: Whale Song

8. Julian Plenti: Only if You Run

7. Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes: 40 Day Dream

6. Grizzly Bear: Two Weeks

5. Handsome Furs: I’m Confused

I almost didn’t put this in the top 5 but after recalling how much I loved it when I first heard it…I had to.

4. Heartless Bastards: The Mountain

3. Sunset Rubdown: Idiot Heart

Sunset Rubdown also gets my nod for album of the year beating out Grizzly Bear.

2. Throw Me the Statue: Acestors

This one may have just snuck in there due to it somehow becoming the “theme song” to the best fieldtrip I’d ever been on.

1. Sunset Rubdown: You Go On Ahead (trumpet trumpet II)

2 comments:

  1. what do i have to do to get a copy of new wings for queen music?

    and solid list

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good question....with not such a good answer.

    ReplyDelete